The Fit Life, LLC

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Recipe Post: Edamame Donburi

This is yet another dish out of Robin Robertson's 1000 Vegan Recipes. This is such a great cookbook--even if you are not vegan or vegetarian.





We've made this several times now. It's delicious. A little time consuming just because you need to get your rice started and your edamame cooking before you started browning your onions.

1 cup fresh or frozen shelled edamame
1 tbsp canola or grape seed oil
1 medium yellow onion, minced (I use red onions for almost everything)
5 shitake mushroom caps, lightly rinsed, patted dry, and cut into 1/4-inch strips (I hate mushrooms, so I do this dish without them)
1 tsp of grated fresh ginger (I've used powder in a pinch and it tasted fine)
8 ounces of firm tofu, drained and crumbled (below I'll tell you the secret to great textured tofu)
2 tbsp of soy sauce (low sodium to keep the sodium content down)
3 cups hot cooked rice (we always used brown...there's just no need for processed white rice)
1 tbsp of toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp of toasted sesame seeds (for garnish). I actually forgot to add the sesame seeds in the picture shown. They do add a nice extra taste.

1. In a small saucepan of boiling salted water (I never add salt to the water), cook the edamame until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.

2. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, and cook, uncovered, 5 minutes longer. Stir in the ginger and green onions. Add the tofu and soy sauce and cook until heated through, stirring to combine well, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cooked edamame and cook until heated through, about five minutes.

3. Divide the hot rice among 4 bowls (I sometimes just stir it right into the pan with the rest of the meal), top each with the edamame and tofu mixture, and drizzle on the sesame oil. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am the owner of The Fit Life, LLC. The Fit Life, LLC offers fitness instruction and nutrition counseling in a holistic way. I focus on personal training using mainly your own body strength--very little equipment. I also hold a certification in holistic nutrition. Because nutrition counseling regulations are very strict in Ohio, I'm still working on what nutrition services I can provide to my clients; however, I'm happy to provide general nutrition information. I enjoy teaching TRX, Indoor Cycling, and Boot Camps.

Followers