The Fit Life, LLC

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Recipe Post: Stovetop Chili (vegetarian)




I have tried many, many vegetarian chili recipes. Most are good, but this one was fantastic. It will become a standard in our household. It has a kick to it, but you could forgo the jalapeno if you're not a fan of spice (however, I think the spice is part of what makes this chili so good). This is another recipe from Good Housekeeping's Vegetarian Meals: Meatless Recipes Everyone Will Love. It's a one-pan meal--which I'm always a fan of.

Prep: ~ 20 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes (we actually left this cooking on the stove while we went for a glass of wine. So it cooked for about an hour with no problem)
Makes about 11 cubs or 6 main-dish servings.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion (I like red onions best)
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
2 garlic cloves, crushed with garlic press (I always up the garlic. I used three cloves)
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 can whole tomatoes (we always use the sodium-free, organic variety)
1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and cut in half (I didn't measure the beans, just grabbed what looked like a good amount from the produce section)
3 medium sweet potatoes (about 1.5 lbs), peeled and cut into 1.5 inch pieces
1 tsp sugar
2 cups water
2 cans black soybeans or black beans, rinsed and drained
Can be served with sour cream (I used plain yogurt. I typically replace sour cream with plain, low-fat yogurt in recipes)

1. In nonstick 5 or 6 quart dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, coriander, garlic, and jalapeno; cook, stirring, 1 minute.

2. Add tomatoes with their juice, green beans, sweet potatoes, sugar, and water; heat to boiling over medium-high heat, breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.

3. Add soybeans/black beans and heat through, about 2 minutes longer (we just added the black beans in step #2 with no problems).
Serve with low-fat, plain yogurt.

Each serving: About 275 calories, 14g protein, 45g carbohydrates, 5g total fat (1 sat), 0 mg cholesterol, sodium depends on your canned goods.

1 comment:

  1. Looking at the picture my mouth is watering. Sluurp! It's Winter here now so naturally it's freakin' freezin' so I need a dish like this to fuel my belly burner. Sounds like a winner alright.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am the owner of The Fit Life, LLC. The Fit Life, LLC offers fitness instruction and nutrition counseling in a holistic way. I focus on personal training using mainly your own body strength--very little equipment. I also hold a certification in holistic nutrition. Because nutrition counseling regulations are very strict in Ohio, I'm still working on what nutrition services I can provide to my clients; however, I'm happy to provide general nutrition information. I enjoy teaching TRX, Indoor Cycling, and Boot Camps.

Followers