The Fit Life, LLC

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Recipe Post: Moroccan-Spiced Sweet Potato Medley



It's been awhile since I did a recipe post. I guess I haven't had a new recipe worthy of posting lately. But this one definitely is! It was delicious (and nutritious)! This is from Good Housekeeping's Vegetarian Meals: Meatless Recipes Everyone will Love, except I left out the salt and added up'd the red pepper by a 1/4 teaspoon.

Moroccan-Spiced Sweet-Potato Medley

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed with garlic press
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 1/2 ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon red pepper
1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 medium potatoes), peeled and cut into 3/4 in pieces.
1 can stewed tomatoes (salt-free)
1 cup bulgur (cracked wheat)
2 1/4 cups water
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup dark seedless raisins
1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (I probably put a little more than that in there. I love cilantro)!
Plain, low-fat yogurt (optional)

1. In a nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add onion and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, coriander, cumin, salt, and ground red pepper and cook, stirring, 1 minute.

2. Add the potatoes, tomatoes, bulgur, and water; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until potatoes are fork-tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in beans, raisins, and cilantro; heat through. Serve with yogurt if you like.



Each serving: about 525 calories, 16 grams of protein, 109g carbs, 5g total fat (1 saturateed), 0 mg cholesterol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am the owner of The Fit Life, LLC. The Fit Life, LLC offers fitness instruction and nutrition counseling in a holistic way. I focus on personal training using mainly your own body strength--very little equipment. I also hold a certification in holistic nutrition. Because nutrition counseling regulations are very strict in Ohio, I'm still working on what nutrition services I can provide to my clients; however, I'm happy to provide general nutrition information. I enjoy teaching TRX, Indoor Cycling, and Boot Camps.

Followers