The Fit Life, LLC

Monday, January 10, 2011

Recipe post: Couscous with Garbanzo Beans



I have another recipe post for you. This was a quick, tasty, healthy dish. I post it mainly because it is so quick and easy. And I love a quick and easy healthy recipe! This is another recipe from my Good Housekeeping Vegetarian Meals: Meatless Meals Everyone Will Love book:

1 box couscous with toasted pine nuts (now normally I don't promote cooking out of boxes, but that's part of what makes this dish so easy. I used Near East couscous with toasted pine nuts. You could easily substitute some whole grain couscous and pine nuts)
1/3 cup dark seedless raisins
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices
1 garlic clove, crushed with garlic press (I used two. I love garlic)
3/4 tsp ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (I used a teaspoon--we like things spicy!)
2 cans of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drain (the organic ones have less sodium)
1/2 cup salad olives, drained, or chipped pimiento-stuffed olives (I don't like olives, so I left these out)
1/4 cup of water

1. Prepare couscous as label directs, except add raisins to cooking water.
2. Meanwhile, in nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, coriander, and red pepper and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add beans, olives, and water and cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 5 minutes.
3. Add cooked couscous to bean mixture and toss gently. Spoon into serving bowl.

Each serving: About 555 calories, 20 grams protein, 101g carbs, 10g total fat (1g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 1,110 mg sodium (leaving out the olives will cut both sodium and fat)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am the owner of The Fit Life, LLC. The Fit Life, LLC offers fitness instruction and nutrition counseling in a holistic way. I focus on personal training using mainly your own body strength--very little equipment. I also hold a certification in holistic nutrition. Because nutrition counseling regulations are very strict in Ohio, I'm still working on what nutrition services I can provide to my clients; however, I'm happy to provide general nutrition information. I enjoy teaching TRX, Indoor Cycling, and Boot Camps.

Followers