The Fit Life, LLC

Monday, October 25, 2010

Recipe Post

I'd like to post more blogs, but sometimes my brain just doesn't have a topic in it! So I've decided that every time I find a recipe I really like (like because of taste, ease and health), I'm going to post it.

So look for my favorite recipe posts in addition to my other random blogs.

Today's recipe is healthy creamy tortilla soup.

I just made this very easy, healthy, delicious tortilla soup, so I thought I would share. Taste will totally depend on what salsa you choose to use. I used Trader Joe's Three Pepper salsa. It was delicious! This is from: quick-fix vegetarian by robin robertson.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for brushing the tortillas

2 cloves garlic, chopped (I used a garlic press)

1 1/2 cups tomato salsa

4 cups vegetable broth (bought organic, low sodium veggie broth)

2 ripe Hass avacados

2 tablespoons of lime juice (or juice one fresh lime)

Salt and pepper to taste

3 to 4 corn tortillas

Heat the 1 tablespoon oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in 1 cup of the salsa and the broth and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.

Halve and pit one of the avocados and place it in a blender or food processor. Add the soup mixture and process until smooth. Transfer back to the pot, add the lime juice and parsley, and season to taste with salt and pepper (we stay low sodium here...didn't add any salt for a healthy, low sodium soup). Simmer over low heat while you toast the tortillas.

Lightly brush the tortillas with oil and cut them into thin strips, about 1/4 inch wide by 2 inches long. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the tortilla strips and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes.

Just before serving, halve, pit and dice the remaining avocado and stir half of it into the soup. To serve, garnish the soup with the remaining diced avocado, remaining 1/2 cup salsa, and the tortilla chips.

Says it serves four. If it's your meal (and one of the people is Mark) I would say serves two. Only fat is good fat from the avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am the owner of The Fit Life, LLC. The Fit Life, LLC offers fitness instruction and nutrition counseling in a holistic way. I focus on personal training using mainly your own body strength--very little equipment. I also hold a certification in holistic nutrition. Because nutrition counseling regulations are very strict in Ohio, I'm still working on what nutrition services I can provide to my clients; however, I'm happy to provide general nutrition information. I enjoy teaching TRX, Indoor Cycling, and Boot Camps.

Followers