The Fit Life, LLC

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Kombucha At Last!

Finally, after a lot of patience--and one do-over--my Kombucha is ready! I will actually leave it at room temperature for a few days to increase fermentation before I refrigerate it. For a great energy drink, I added a few teaspoons of chia seeds to half the jars. Chia seeds are a natural energy booster.

Brewing Kombucha has been a learning experience. My first batch molded because I didn't keep it warm enough. The current batch has been sitting on a heating pad always set on low. It worked like a charm!




And, if anyone is interested, I have some very healthy SCOBY (the live culture used to grow Kombucha) if anyone (local) would like a piece to start their own Kombucha.





This batch was made from jasmine tea with organic sugar (the SCOBY feeds on the sugar). And now I am starting a new batch using coconut water (my thought is that natural fruit sugar will be healthier--even though the SCOBY consumes most of the sugar if you let it ferment long enough). This batch fermented for about a month before I was happy with the taste.

After coconut water, I believe I will try a natural fruit juice--or maybe a mix of fruit juice and tea.

Kombucha has many health benefits: cancer prevention, body detoxification, joint health and strengthening the immune system to name a few.

Read this blog to learn more.

The Kombucha drink pictured in the blog is one I use to buy frequently from Eathfare. And while I love it, it runs over $3 a bottle. Now I can make my own for practically nothing. It just takes some patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am the owner of The Fit Life, LLC. The Fit Life, LLC offers fitness instruction and nutrition counseling in a holistic way. I focus on personal training using mainly your own body strength--very little equipment. I also hold a certification in holistic nutrition. Because nutrition counseling regulations are very strict in Ohio, I'm still working on what nutrition services I can provide to my clients; however, I'm happy to provide general nutrition information. I enjoy teaching TRX, Indoor Cycling, and Boot Camps.

Followers