Sorry for the lack of photo. But we ate it before I thought to take a picture!
This recipe is from Cooking Light and it is easy and fantastic!
- 4 cups water
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag long-grain rice (I replaced boil-in-bag rice with good ol' brown rice. More time consuming, but I feel worth the effort).
- 2 1/4 cups chopped asparagus (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon hot chili sauce with garlic (such as KA·ME) (We up'd this a bit for more spice)
- 1 pound extrafirm tofu, drained and cut lengthwise into 9 pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided (we always skip the salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup preshredded carrot (just shredded our own real quick)
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Add bag of rice, submerging bag completely in water. Boil 10 minutes. Carefully remove bag from pan, leaving boiling water in pan. Add asparagus to pan; cook 1 minute. Drain.
- While rice cooks, heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Combine sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, and chili sauce in a small bowl. Sprinkle tofu with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add tofu to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Add soy sauce mixture; cook 20 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Combine rice, asparagus, 1/2 teaspoon salt, carrot, and sesame oil. Serve tofu over rice.