The Fit Life, LLC

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Recipe Post: Jamaican Stew


When I mentioned I made this for dinner, many folks seemed interested. So I decided to use it as a recipe post. Not to sound like a broken record, but this recipe also came from Robin Robinson's Quick-Fix Vegetarian. If you enjoy making vegetarian meals (even if you're not a vegetarian), I highly recommend her cookbooks. I have the one mentioned above and 1,000 Vegan Recipes (even though we're not vegan), and I have yet to try a bad recipe. Her use of spices is just amazing. Everything we've made out of either book has been simply fantastic!

1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups sliced baby carrots (or nice, fresh organic carrots)
3 scallions, chopped
1 sweet potato, diced
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (We like spice, so I put about a tsp in)
1/4 tsp ground allspice
Salt and pepper to taste (we just peppered--especially if your diced tomatoes have salt)
2 cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (I don't care for kidney beans...have a texture issue with them. So I used black beans. I'd use whatever beans you like)!
1 can unsweetened light coconut milk
1 cup vegetable broth (we buy they low sodium, organic broth. Robinson's cookbook has a recipe for homemade)

Pour the oil into a 4-quart slow-cooker and set the cooker on high. Add the garlic and put the lid on the cooker while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

To the cooker, add the carrots, scallions, sweet potato, and tomatoes. Stir in the curry powder, thyme, red pepper flakes, allspice, and salt and pepper. Add the beans, coconut milk, and broth. Reduce heat, cover, and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am the owner of The Fit Life, LLC. The Fit Life, LLC offers fitness instruction and nutrition counseling in a holistic way. I focus on personal training using mainly your own body strength--very little equipment. I also hold a certification in holistic nutrition. Because nutrition counseling regulations are very strict in Ohio, I'm still working on what nutrition services I can provide to my clients; however, I'm happy to provide general nutrition information. I enjoy teaching TRX, Indoor Cycling, and Boot Camps.

Followers